The Quality, Safety and Environmental Management System of Salini Impregilo, is increasingly integrated into the group and applied to all its contracts. It complies with the UNI EN ISO 9001 (quality), UNI EN ISO 14001 (environmental) and BS OHSAS 18001 (health and safety) regulations, as the quality management system was certified in 1997, the safety management system in 2003 and the environmental management system in 2007.
The Salini Impregilo Group has an important socio-economic role in the markets in which it operates by contributing to local economic development, with investments in the areas of health, safety and the environment, as well as support to local communities.
To ensure that all Stakeholders (shareholders, employees, clients, suppliers, local communities, government administrations, etc.) obtain increasingly effective and efficient services (this is the inherent objective of standards), the Group has adopted a Quality, Environment and Safety Management System compliant with the following set of standards: UNI EN ISO 9001 (quality), ISO 14001 (environment) and BS OHSAS 18001 (health and safety), launched in 1997 with certification of the quality management system, expanded in 2003 with certification of the safety management system and completed in 2007 with certification of the environmental management system.
Adoption of the QES Management System has assisted the Group to meet the objectives set out in its QES policy, specifically:
- maintaining the quality of products and services, through respect for the environment and the health and safety of workers in all workplaces and labor sectors. This commitment also extends to third party companies and subcontractors;
- the availability of resources (human, technological, financial) necessary for the development and implementation of the Quality, Health and Safety and Environmental Management System;
- the performance of work based on the latest construction technologies available in the industry and the fundamental concept of building "to best industry standards", the use of processes, technologies and materials that allow the rational and sustainable use of natural resources (e.g. water, energy and raw materials);
- the involvement and active participation of all staff working for the Company or on its behalf, through information, education and training, for proper dissemination and understanding of the principles expressed on the issues of quality management, environmental respect and protection, the health and safety of workers, with the commitment to continual improvement;
- compliance with the applicable legal provisions and any other regulations which might be adopted, with the application of more stringent standards wherever possible;
- continuous dialog with clients and their representatives throughout the technical and administrative process of delivering services and the performance of works, the involvement of Interested Parties in analysis of the environmental performance of the Company through the opening of channels of communication concerning sustainable development, the promotion of all initiatives with Employees, Clients, Suppliers, Authorities and Interested Parties designed to achieve the highest levels of health and safety protection;
- the identification and assessment of risks to the health and safety of workers caused by their activities;
- the identification and assessment of the environmental aspects of the Group’s activities and the identification of those aspects that have or could have a significant impact on the environment;
- effective waste management through the re-use of products and materials where possible, and the use of products with low environmental impact;
- the identification of all technical and organizational measures useful to eliminate the possibility of pollution, through the careful analysis of the risk of spillage, uncontrolled release into soil/water/air;
- the prevention of occupational diseases and the elimination or reduction of accidents in the workplace for employees, service providers and subcontractors, based on the principle that all accidents are preventable.
The issue of new editions of the ISO 9001 and 14001 (ed. 2015) standards - expected this year - will introduce, among the most significant developments, the so-called "risk-based approach" in Management Systems. It is planned to define and launch the project to adapt QES Systems during 2016 (which must comply with the new standards, presumably, within three years of the date of issue).
For the correct application of the QES management system the Group has appointed a Management Representative who, assisted by the Quality, Environment and Safety Organizational Unit and top management, is responsible for:
- updating personnel and the entire organization about management’s commitments taken on with the "Quality, Environment and Safety Policy", also by using the "The Bridge Impregilo Global Intranet" portal;
- scheduling regular internal audits to check the organization’s working;
- proposing possible changes to improve the group’s performance to senior management.
In the reporting period, the QHSE Function conducted a series of audits according to the annual plan of the Function, with the aim of verifying effective application of QES systems in contracts. The interventions were carried out mainly on contracts in full operation, with less interest on those starting up (where, nevertheless, interventions were made, taking part in the deployment program) or under completion.
Altogether 9 audits were performed, of which 2 in the operational areas of the subsidiary Todini Costruzioni SpA.