Macroeconomic Scenario

The Salini Impregilo Group, established following the merger of two major Italian Groups, is a global player in the field of large-scale infrastructures. Therefore, the Group’s baseline scenario is the intercontinental market of large heterogeneous and composite infrastructure.

The lengthy macroeconomic recession experienced in the past 4-5 years, has affected almost all industrial/economic sectors. However, thanks to the limited volatility that characterizes the sector, the demand for large-scale infrastructures has not suffered a slowdown. As a matter of fact, complex infrastructures continue to represent a strategic priority for the growth of the national economies of most countries, both industrialized and emerging.

According to international studies, the aggregate demand in the construction sector at the global level is expected to be worth roughly € 35,200 billion over the period 2014-2017. Of the total market, about 65% will be represented by the development/construction of residential and commercial buildings (€ 22,900 billion), while the remaining 35% (€ 12,300 billion) by the development of infrastructures.

It is also estimated that roughly 70% of the investments in infrastructure (€ 8,500 billion) will be made in business sectors – hydraulic projects, roads and railways and large civil projects – in which Salini Impregilo currently operates, while it is reasonable to assume that, over the 2014-2017 period, a significant part of these projects, estimated at about € 550 billion, will be completed in the countries where the Group currently operates, or where it intends to extend its operations.